Visuel Rhône valley
> Our Establishment > Rhône Valley

Rhône valley

Richness and diversity

Second largest PDO vineyard in France, the Rhône Valley is a land of contrasts, rich and varied. On either sides of the river that flows into the Mediterranean Sea the vineyards flourish under the generous sun and offer pure jewels. Wine has been produced here since antiquity.

The Romans created the Rhone vineyard as early as in 125 BC. It is one of the oldest in France and continued to develop under the influence of the Church, in particular with the arrival of the Popes in Avignon. In 1737, the vineyard on the right bank of the River Rhône stamped the letters C.D.R - Côtes du Rhône – on the bottom of the wine casks to attest to their origin.
In the 1930s, Baron Le Roy, a wine-grower from Châteauneuf-du-Pape, promoted the recognition of the properties of the appellation which was attributed ‘Appellation d’Origine Contrôlée’ (controlled origin) status in 1933, in turn Côtes du Rhône wines were consecrated in 1937.

Today Rhône Valley groups two entities:

  • The Southern vineyard that spans from Avignon to Montélimar and is implanted on hillsides and plateaux featuring very complex soils composed of ancient and varied alluvial deposits. This justifies the recourse to a large number of varietals (including Grenache, Syrah and Mourvèdre for red wines, as well as white Grenache and Clairette for white wines).
  • The Northern vineyard, which spans from Vienne to Valence grows on rugged hillsides with granite soils, is reserved for Syrah for red wines and Viognier, Roussanne and Marsanne for white wines.